View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012, 09:51 AM   #390
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
[T]here is such a thing as constructively criticizing something, whether an e-reader, a movie, a relationship or anything else, and it is another to bash it down in a totally subjective way.
He called this reader "a piece of crap". Well I tend to think this reader is worth a little more than crap. And I just pointed that out. If some can't take it then too bad for them.
What angry consumer hasn't called a purchase which they felt failed them "a piece of crap"? I didn't take that as an insult to people who were satisfied with the Glo. I took it as a familiar expression of helpless frustration.

But enough about Bookripper. Here's the part that matters most:

Wanting to put a large number of books on a device is a legitimate concern, as is wanting direct-device access to the file directory. If we were talking about a Nook, Kindle or Sony Reader, those specific concerns would be addressed by MR's and XDA's developer communities.

One of the main reasons the Sony Reader series was a near-perfect solution for many over the past few years is because the pre-Android firmware had dedicated alternative developers. Glo users could only benefit from the availability of custom hacks and firmware. But to reach a consensus of interest that could help to foster a community of developers, we would first have to acknowledge the need -- which is always the need to bypass, repair or rethink the limitations of official firmware.

I like everything about Kobo and the Kobo Glo except for (1) the software bugs, instability and limitations I've read about and (2) the complications that could arise for non-Canadian customer service until the Glo is actually made available on the Kobo site's international links.

Given the nasty non-exemptions recently leveled at Americans who jailbreak e-readers, Canada seems the perfect base for alternative e-book firmware. (Words can't express how much I've always loved that country.)

To me, the Glo seems like a glorious target for building initial interest.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 10-28-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote