View Single Post
Old 05-06-2011, 12:18 AM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Do you ever choose a book to read based on its length?

I used to sort my ebooks books by source, which in hindsight was kind of dumb (who ever says 'I feel like reading a book from Kobo today?) and then moved to a genre system. Today, I was suddenly struck by a fit of overwhelm at how many unread books I have, so I was struck by the sudden inspiration to go through and pull out all the books I could read in one sitting. My rationale was as follows:

- If the book was a freebie and turned out to be terrible and/or unreadable due to format issues, a binge read of the short ones would allow me to clear out a large amount of unread books very shortly

- If I separate out the shorter ones, it will reduce the size of some of my groaning genre collections, meaning that I will have less choice paralysis when I dip into those truly intending to read a certain genre

- I can reduce the number of collections on my Kindle since this will largely amalgamate the YA/Poetry/Fanfic/Insert Other Generally Short Genre Here books into one collection

I found a fringe benefit that I had not anticipated once I started sorting through the choices. If in the past I felt like a short, quick read then there were certain genres I favoured (mystery, for instance; I usually read a mystery novel in one or two sittings). I would avoid something like 'literary fiction' (even though I do enjoy those) because I had a perception that all of these books were long, involved sagas. Knowing that I have some choices from those genres which will not take a whole week to read makes me more likely to choose them.

Once I reduce my TBR pile, I am more than happy to get into the long sagas. I just feel like I want to clear out my TBR list a little and found this was a good way to do it. I now have a collection on the Kindle of about 100 books that I can read in one sitting. About a quarter of them will be freebies I deign not to finish. So, in about a month, I can reduce my TBR pile by a tenth in one fell swoop.

Does anyone else ever choose a book to read based on its length?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote