View Single Post
Old 07-31-2010, 06:41 AM   #19
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
Here on Mobile Read, there are 11 (count them) forums for the various brands of reader plus a 12th forum for "others." Yet the press only ever recognizes the Kindle and the iPad and sees them as competing head to head for the entire market. Just shows how far the journalistic "arts" have fallen in the last couple of decades.

I'm very happy with my Sony PRS600, precisely because it's a single function device with NO wireless connection. The software that comes with it isn't all that great, but despite all the gripes here about the Sony store, they have their good points, too. In the 4 months I've had my Reader, the Sony store has twice dropped the price of a newly released book I had my eye on to $9.99 and I've swooped down on the opportunity to get it. Wasn't $9.99 the price Amazon was promising on all best sellers before the Big Five got their way?

I still think we'll see Amazon selling e-books in a variety of formats within 5 years or so. But until that time, I find epub versions of books by the Big Five and others at wildly differing prices across the Internet.

And I'm happy to see Sony stating publicly that they're not going for the cheapest reader price. The features I have on my reader are those I need and want. There is more to competition in the marketplace than finding the cheapest prices.
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote