View Single Post
Old 04-22-2012, 12:17 PM   #4
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBird View Post
Don't have any suggestions per se, but I can speak to my experience (which is very limited because I've only "discovered" TTS this month).

I'd been using Svox's Grace and Michael voices alternately, those having replaced the Pico, but ten days ago I stumbled onto Ivona it has replaced the others on both devices. I liked the Kendra voice so much that just yesterday I downloaded their UK voice (Amy) and like it very much as well...just hoping for a male option from Ivona.

I used Svox w/CoolReader, MoonReader, FBReader and Mantano alternating between the male and female voice. I also used Ivona's US voice with all four readers. The only problem I encountered is that I couldn't figure out how to switch between Svox and Ivona on the PE; the Thrive was easy with Settings, but Settings on the PE didn't have that option under Language & Keyboard, which doesn't matter to me because I MUCH prefer the Ivona voice.

Last night, anxious to try the new UK voice I found the only way to change from Kendra to Amy was to freeze Kendra w/Titantium. Last night I listened to two+ chapters of a Faulkner book using CoolReader and a couple of ePub articles from 3Quarks using Mantano w/no problem. I've yet to try changing between the two Ivona voices using the thaw/freeze technique but foresee no problem.

I've got a new PE ready to be "Allmine'd" and will just now install Svox and see if it makes a difference.

Wrote this b/4 I saw your today's post. I intend to try the AU voice...I also like the Australian's accent

Thanks for the reply. There is an App called TTS Service Extended that you can use to manage your TTS libraries. This will quickly allow you to change the default TTS between SVOX and Ivona. I only have one Ivona language pack installed but TTS Service Extended may allow to choose between those as well.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote