View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 07:11 PM   #27
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Same goes, in the end, for the static thumbnail grid, if your library grows large enough.
True. But I figured if it was implemented it would be user customizable to offer a 1 page = "N x N" customized grid size. So... tiny to huge screens, and relative database size, could be accommodated to some degree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickredding View Post
I believe you are correct, and I have argued this myself. However, criticism of Calibre always seems to get slapped down by the forum regulars. The typical response is either denial, or "it's open source, fix it yourself if you don't like it."
I would just like to comment that I agree, calibre is too technical and could use a GUI makeover to simplify things. I think the failure to come up with a such a better, simpler interface is because no one has thought up an appropriate design for an interface widget offering all the possible ways in which features can be accessed and/or mixed together currently. I honestly think that if anyone could come up with a new and viable interface idea that it would at least be discussed and explored.

Another, somewhat related issue, is the tech level of the user manual. Almost all good programmers are terrible writer's/instructors; they're simply too knowledgeable within their field (in general) and too close to the software (specifically) to effectively write instructions for the average user. Most users will never understand the hardware or software processes and limitations; those few that have some knowledge will have an oversimplified understanding of things. Once you get past that, you still have linguistic barriers - no two people will read and comprehend a page of text and arrive at the same understanding.

I also agree with your supposition (without any factual proof available to either of us) that the abandonment rate of calibre is probably quite high. Additionally, I suspect that there are a high number of "repeat new installers" within the download numbers cited. Having uninstalled calibre, I imagine the unique ID from that installation also ceases to exist (rightly so - tracking should not be necessary). So repeating the install process only shows up as a new user rather than a repeat installation - thus skewing the numbers.

Finally, in defense of those who answer questions and provide comments to users in the forums... Dealing with customers or clients is never easy. It requires a phenomenal amount of patience - more than anyone has on a 24/7/365 basis. So if sometimes the response is brief, sounds rude, or dismissive-it might be. But it might also be the Nth time the responder has answered that exact same question this day, week, month, or year.

Last edited by Sabardeyn; 01-17-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote