Thread: Content Kindle store anomalies?
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2017, 10:36 PM   #4
ntamas
Zealot
ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 3 + Kindle keyboard
Geographic restrictions?!

Those restrictions can't be reasonable in case of ebooks. I'm sure they must be intentional. Because it sounds as though someone had some problem with their internet connection. It seems as though the accessibility of the files depended on the place where I download them from. Weird.

Quote:
An author in Select has to keep the book available for 90 days.
And what will happen after the 90 days?

Quote:
the US price you see is before taxes. UK, the price you see is the price you pay.
Yes I know. The US price has to be increased by approx. 6.75% to get the real price. But it is very common that the price is still lower than the European ones with VAT. LOL

Quote:
Did you download to the kindle keyboard that you could not later buy it?
I have downloaded it to the Keyboard via wifi. I can open the sample and it works but if I open the menu for that item with the arrow pointing to the right and click on Buy This Book Now then it writes this:

This title is not available for you.

Due to copyright restrictions, the Kindle title you're trying to purchase is not available in your country.
(The country is US in the store settings)

Earlier it can only be purchased with US accounts.

If I do the same thing in Paperwhite (I mean clicking or tapping on Buy now) it simply gets me back to the book description where it says: currently unavailable.

Quote:
Or did you download it to a different model kindle or to something other than the same kindle you tried to buy it from?
No, definitely not. I have downloaded it to Keyboard and I wanted to buy it later on the same Keyboard of course.

Quote:
Otherwise the book just might not be available in a format that the Kindle Keyboard can display. (The samples need not be the same format as the actual book.)
If this was true, then the Amazon product page on the web wouldn't write in the upper right corner this:

This title is not currently available for purchase

You can't even see the availability list now. There was but now there is no more.

Quote:
There is no requirement to have an Amazon account for book samples.
Are you absolutely sure about that? I didn't manage to download any samples without signing in.

Quote:
Thus there can not be any account data lookup, because there might not be an account.
I agree that the sample and the complete work can be different. The samples won't even appear in your Kindle Library. BUT, somehow samples contain information on which book it is about because otherwise you wouldn't be able to open the book description at all. And the book description is about the complete work not about the sample.

Quote:
the person who owns the publication rights usually can choose where they want it published.
Sometimes they want you not to be able to buy it at all on any of the Amazon sites. They should send a message about the status of an ebook globally. I mean if it is only available to the US customers or becoming only available to them, then a message should provide info about that. The same goes to global restricted works, the UK only stuffs etc..

This type of information is still missing. If they just simply tell you that the book is not currently available that's not enough. And as a customer you'll become more and more doubtful. Can I buy it another time? Can I buy it at all in the future? If so, where can I buy it on which site? How long will it be available? Is there a substitution item instead of that? Maybe the same title but newer version? etc..

Quote:
So to answer this one, you would have to start by contacting the author (or other current owner of the copyright) and find out who, if anyone, has the right to decide.
It sounds very complicated.

Quote:
Because the owner of the publication rights wants it that way.
Well, it's somewhat unfair policy and not reasonable at all.

Then is it considered to be a fraud if I login to my US account (instead of my European) to pay much less for ebooks? LOL

Isn't it a discriminatory practice to charge European customers at higher prices for ebooks? Why should I pay more just because I'm European?
ntamas is offline   Reply With Quote