View Single Post
Old 06-30-2019, 10:39 AM   #8
Kryptozoon
Kryptozoon began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3+
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhari79 View Post
i have been plodding through the wayback machine.
one interesting link i found relating to v3+:
https://web.archive.org/web/20150923...r=asc&start=20

According to this, v3+ sdk seems same a a v5 sdk.
A suggestion is, try to contact Buggins. He may be able to help.
(github, sourceforge etc.,)
https://github.com/buggins
Thank you for the suggestions, especially as they point to a region of the Internet I could not access myself with any efficiency. My Russian studies during my school years were a total waste of time, as I can't read anything without Google Translate and certainly could not search for anything in Russian.
I might have to contact the person in question. I have come across the claim that "v3+ resembles v5 more than v3" but I never thought that the SDK might be not just similar but identical.
Quote:
Failing which,
another suggestion is to create your own toolchain:
something like this, it deals with the exact same processor of the v3+.
https://www.sachinsharma.com/2010/12...hain_7883.html
(might be a real long shot this one)
Yeah, sounds like something to be tried only in case of desperation, but it is definitely something that can be tried if all else fails. I wonder if the problem is merely the toolchain and whether the libraries work across the early-V3-to-V3+ divide? I guess I'll have to find out the hard way.
Quote:
On other thoughts: why try to develop for such an ancient device?
something like a BQ Cervantes, would be far more easier.
It is supposedly open source and sourcecode etc., all available in github.
It's something like the sunk cost fallacy in action. I have bought this device almost ten years ago for an exorbitant price, and I'm simply trying to get some further use out of it; otherwise nowadays I'm doing my reading on my phone and on an iPad. The Hanlin is simply a still-working piece of hardware I would not throw out and cannot watch sitting there doing nothing. As long as I can do this with no actual investment except my time (accounted for under the heading 'hobby'), I'm okay with working on it.

On a positive note, the Java version seems to be working better now. I have figured out that quiescence search benefits from alpha-beta pruning too (yeah, sarcasm - I removed the supporting code in a bid to reduce code size, and when it turned out this was not a problem I forgot to re-enable it), and that the way I implemented alpha-beta, contrary to what I said earlier, is doing a very good job cutting down execution time - the long waits were due to quiescence search being done in a full minimax fashion, and basic search would have exploded similarly if not for alpha-beta. (On the flip side this also means the Java VM is even slower than I originally thought.) Now the program replies in a few seconds, rarely reaching 5s, and it also seems to play reasonably well (time to time it beats Zillions of Games with decent search depth settings - it's kind of a rock-paper-scissors situation, as I can beat the reader, the reader can beat Zillions and Zillions can beat me; sounds like our weaknesses line up in a funny way). So if all else fails, I'll stay with this implementation at least until I learn its quirks and weaknesses to the point that I cannot fix them but get bored with beating it due to knowing them.
Kryptozoon is offline   Reply With Quote