View Single Post
Old 06-12-2019, 06:55 AM   #1
Kryptozoon
Kryptozoon began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3+
Hanlin v3+ application development

Sorry for jumping in medias res with my first post, but here we go: I've tried pretty much everything else and could not find any help with my problem, which is the following: I'd like to develop native applications (or maybe just one) for the Hanlin v3+, but I do not have the necessary toolchain and SDK. I'm sorry if this is not the right subforum to ask, but I could not figure out a better place for it.

I am aiming at porting a Xiang Qi (a Chinese relative of our chess)-playing application to the ebook reader, as a way to salvage what use remains in the device, now that I use an iPad for reading books. I have found the earliest version of the v3 toolchain and SDK on the Internet a couple of years ago, and although I managed to get it to work and compile Leo's SDK, the resulting binary is simply causing the device to hang, and it can only be restarted after a reset. Seems like the v3 and the v3+ aren't even ABI-compatible. No other versions of the kit appear to be present anywhere on the Internet.

I have also contacted the local distributor, who empathized with my problem but could not help. They proposed that I ask people on mobile reader forums, which I'm doing right now.

The v3+ and perhaps the v3 also have a somewhat limited and utterly undocumented Java virtual machine, which I have investigated deeply enough to have ported a limited version of the program to it. But this VM seems to have a very low size limitation on I don't even know what, perhaps memory left available to code + data after the JVM takes up residence in memory; anyway, it will crash with an out-of-memory entry in the log unless I pack all my data into bytes instead of ints. I plan to complete the port to Java - only the interaction part is missing -, but odds are it won't fit into memory and even if it will, it will run very slowly - thinks for almost a minute on a 4-ply search and although I don't expect to need more depth any time soon, this still seems like too slow, interfering with the joy of the game and depleting the battery like there's no tomorrow. (I have just outfitted the device with a new battery - some counterfeit Nokia, by the sound of it - but I doubt I will be able to do so again in a few years if this battery gets run down due to excessively frequent charging cycles.)

So, bottom line, can someone point me to a toolchain and an SDK (including documentation) suitable for the V3+? Many thanks in advance.
Kryptozoon is offline   Reply With Quote