View Single Post
Old 08-04-2018, 10:34 AM   #3
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
And I'm afraid a final complication is that I do all my ebooks with an HTML editor, so techiques using Sigil et al probably won't be much use to me.
Not sure what you are going for here....Sigil doesn't have any "special HTML techniques". If it is ePub compliant HTML then it doesn't matter where/how it was created, it will work fine in Sigil. And the opposite is true - HTML made in Sigil will work in any standards compliant device/app.

As far as your epigraph example - The HTML term you are looking for is "Table" instead of spreadsheet. There are, of course, ways to format without tables, but it seems that your example would be easiest created using a table. You can refresh your memory about the techniques of tables in the W3Schools tutorial/reference.

Here's a quick example:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"
  "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<title></title>
<style>
table    {margin:0 auto; width:70%; border-collapse:collapse;
          background:url("../Images/paper.jpg") no-repeat;}
td       {vertical-align:top; padding:5px 10px; font-family:serif}
thead    {text-align:center; font-weight:bold}
tfoot    {font-size:.8em}

span.sc1 {font-variant:small-caps; background-color:lightblue}
span.sc2 {font-variant:small-caps}
span.rt  {display:block; text-align:right}
</style>
</head>
<body>
<table>
<col style="width:25%"/>
<tr><td><span class="sc1">1st Citizen.</span></td><td>Sir, there's a hurry in the veins of youth<br />That makes a vice of virtue by excess.</td></tr>
<tr><td><span class="sc2">2d Citizen.</span></td><td>What if the coolness of our tardier veins<br/>Be loss of virtue?</td></tr>
<tr><td><span class="sc1">1st Citizen.</span></td><td><span class="rt">All things cool with time—</span>The sun itself, they say, till heat shall find<br />A general level, nowhere in excess.</td></tr>
<tr><td><span class="sc2">2d Citizen.</span></td><td>'Tis a poor climax, to my weaker thought,<br />That future middlingness.</td></tr>

</table>
</body>
</html>
Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	epi.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	165428  
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote