View Single Post
Old 08-04-2018, 06:13 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Special effects? Spreadsheets?

For my sins I'm grinding through the George Eliot novels for the MR library. Most of them have epigraphs at the beginning of each chapter - some of them quite long and with several layouts.

The attached image is part of the epigraph for chapter 5 of Felix Holt, the Radical. I gave up on this, but there is a similar layout in chapter 38 of Daniel Deronda and I want to try again.

Can anyone point me please to a method of setting up the epub markup to produce this effect? I want it to show well on 6" readers, so the lines will very likely need to break. And of course I want it to show well on a Samsung tablet and an iPad, where the lines will not need to break.

If I could remember how to do spreadsheets in HTML I could probably work out a spreadsheet which would do the job. Can anyone point me to a tutorial for doing spreadsheets in HTML?

And I'm afraid a final complication is that I do all my ebooks with an HTML editor, so techiques using Sigil et al probably won't be much use to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chapter05.JPG
Views:	322
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	165426  
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote