View Single Post
Old 07-04-2010, 08:06 PM   #1
bsherrill
bsherrill began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Post Stealth Kindle2 Case with pics.....

I first want to thank artsci for his well documented article at http://imageevent.com/artsci/kindle and https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ghlight=artsci

Without his superb skills and instructions, I would not have even attempted or thought of this procedure. Thanks artsci!

I actually changed a few things from his procedure, as I wanted a Kindle2 inside what actually could pass for a real book, so that meant crafting the pages. I first cut away the address book from the Leonardo cover and glueing it together inside and out, attempted to hollow out the address book on all four sides. This was always going to be iffy, because after cutting, the pages had to be 1/8" thick to be able to fit the Kindle2 inside. I did this over 2 LONG afternoons of cutting, but even with glueing every page together, it was never going to be sturdy enough to handle the daily rigors of opening and closing, not to mention transportation from one place to the next.

I then decided to combine what artsci had done for the Kindle1 in creating faux pages using scribed wood and make it fit the Kindle2. I stripped off the insides of the book and with great trepidation, and pulled off the covers from the spine. No going back now!

In fitting the Kindle2, artsci narrowed the spine. I actually widened mine by 1/2" on either side to get a thicker book. I originally wanted to put the charging/USB cord and an Octovo light with a spare battery in the left side of the cover, but much to my disappointment, this was not to be. Not enough room. I used 1" wide basswood reinforced with 1/8" square stock, and some triangular basswood in the corners to be drilled out, then epoxied 1/4" x 1/8" round rare earth magnets inside. The right side cover has thin pieces of metal under the marbelized paper for the magnets to hold onto.

I couldn't find thin plywood, so I bought some binder's board in 1/16" for the left side and 3/32" for the right side of the Kindle2. I used the 3/32" on the right because the Kindle Hinge fit exactly with that thickness, and I wanted to level and support the Kindle over the entire page. The Kindle Hinge was supported and glued underneath by a section of the same thin metal as for the magnets.

The only other change was I glued some gold foam on the inside of the faux wooden page, and added some green foam to match the marbelized paper on the bottom of the left cover.

I'll be the first to tell you I made some mistakes, but they were all corrected, and I'm very pleased with the end result. The Kindle2 is easy to read with the cover on, the Octovo light still fits while the Kindle is inside, and the magnets and foam provide a level of security and protection when transporting it. It's not heavy at all, but of course it is bulkier, so if that gets tiresome, I can just disconnect the Kindle2 from the Kindle Hinge and I'm back to the original. I really did this because I wanted to see if I could do it, for one, and the other was to see the look on people's faces when they open the book! It always brings smiles to their face when they realize what it is!

I didn't take step-by-step pictures, because artsci has already done this far better than I could have. Besides, I'm a novice at using the camera, as you're about to see.

The spine has been widened. Notice the discoloration. I'll try to polish this to get it looking like the rest of the leather.

The metal support for the Kindle Hinge glued in and positioned.

Hinge installed and metal for the magnets being glued and clamped.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kmetalsupport.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	54599   Click image for larger version

Name:	kclamping.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	54600   Click image for larger version

Name:	kfrontcover.jpg
Views:	296