View Single Post
Old 03-05-2010, 11:32 PM   #1
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Did anyone else love their ebook reader at first but start going back to paper?

I've had my Kindle 1 since August 2008 and really threw myself into and really do like it. I have something like 600 ebooks right now and haven't bought a single dead tree book since (though I did receive one at Christmas).

But...

I'm hitting a little bit of a bump with regards to ebooks. Frustration with formats and DRM and format shifting (for future) and archiving...and so on and so on. It is so much simpler to just buy a book and put it on the shelf.

Then their is pricing and the recent Amazon/Macmillan struggle. Well, pricing in general. I was surfing Amazon today and for many of the books I'm interested in right now they are part of Amazon's 4-3 promotion. So they end up cheaper in DTB format. Example: 4 DTB's in the 4-3 promotion at $7.99 each = $31.96, but one of them would be free so the price would actually be $23.97. The same 4 books for Kindle at (usually) $6.39 each = $25.56. Ok, it's not much of a difference, but still...

I do love being able to carry multiple books with me in my purse via the Kindle; I like being able to download samples; I like some of the freebie books; but given some of my frustrations, when my K1 dies, I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

Anyone else in the same mindset or have these thoughts on occasion? Any suggestions to snap out of it...or not?
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote