View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 12:12 PM   #60
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBilly View Post
You're making a lot of assumptions. First off, without knowing where the OP is, your supposed "premium price" may be entirely mythical. Currently, in Canada, for example, I could have a T2 direct from Sony for $99.99. A Kobo Glo will cost $129.99. A Kindle Paperwhite is not available for shipping to Canada. I could spend several hours and a fair number of dollars travelling across the border where I can get it from a Best Buy for US$119.99. I assume this is the ad-free version, but the BB site doesn't say. Sony is the least expensive by far.
Location is definitely important when talking about pricing.

The Sony T2 is €165 in the (handful of) shops here that sell e-readers. I got my Kindle Paperwhite (cheapest version, WiFi & ads) delivered for €150, imported via a local shop, which includes all the taxes (VAT + customs).

The other available options here are some Prestigio models for €165-169, iRiver HD for €165, and - a very, VERY recent development - the Kobo mini for €99 and Kobo Touch for €129. You can also order, via a local shop, a Nook Glow for €150 or a Kobo Glo for €165.

I really like the Sony T2, but at €165, it seems very much overpriced (as does the iRiver). No local options to buy a Pocketbook, Onyx etc.

I'm really happy with my Paperwhite, but I did buy it with the full knowledge that if I'd got a bad one, I'd have been in trouble - no way to get a replacement from Amazon, certainly. But then I use Calibre with Alf's plug-ins and I also buy from Amazon quite a bit, so neither the reader's choice of formats or using it without registration is of concern to me.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote