View Single Post
Old 10-20-2012, 03:03 PM   #1
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
My 6,128 Favorite Books

My husband left this for me this morning:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...923017090.html

This is an article from Joe Queenan's new book, One for the Books, out on Thursday from Viking.

The Title: My 6,128 Favorite Books. Subtitle: How a harmless juvenile pastime turned into a lifelong personality disorder.

I stumbled out of bed, and as I was waiting for coffee, I started reading this. I couldn't stop. It is wonderful. Although near the end he has a rant against ebooks, the rest of the article is just breathtaking. One example, an explanation of why he hates people assuming he will like a certain book because of this ethnicity:

Writers speak to us because they speak to us, not because of some farcical ethnic telepathy. Joseph Goebbels and Albert Einstein were both Germans; does that mean they should equally enjoy "Mein Kampf"? Perhaps this is not the example I was looking for. Here's a better one: One of my closest friends is a Mexican-American photographer who grew up in a small town outside Fresno, Calif., and who now lives in Los Angeles. His favorite book is "Dubliners."

It is a joke in our familly that I am an ebook hoarder (I also have more pbooks than most, in bookcases, bags, etc.). I have almost 5000 in Calibre. This article really spoke to my obsession with books. My "So Little Time, So Many Books" philosophy.

I think Mobileread members with really enjoy this.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote