View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 08:06 PM   #25
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
I think this issue is a class thing. Book shoplifting = lower class. Jail is fine for them -- at least if repeat offenders -- even though most books at Barnes and Noble are destined to be pulped, so stealing them deprives no one of anything. By contrast, book piracy = upper middle class. So punishing them is a horror, and, unlike with every other kind of stealing, conviction should require a showing of harm.

This is not to defend the Japanese law, which I do consider draconian. It's so draconian that I doubt it will be enforced. Cutting off internet access would make the punishment fit the crime.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote