View Single Post
Old 03-18-2012, 04:26 PM   #7
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmat1 View Post
That's a most interesting workflow. I guess you run it through Adobe to get rid of Words nasty html-style.

Somewhere in the epub-forum I've seen a word-macro from toxaris which generates a clean html-output from word. Maybe you wnat to give it a try ?
Good God, NO.

I have AA X Pro, and of course Sigil, and every other tool in the box, and Acrobat's html output is HORRIFIC. I wouldn't use it for love or money. I'd rather export the AA to Word, and then import-export from there. I know that sounds cracked, but the html output by AA is just AWFUL. I mean, AWFUL.

Moreover, what everyone seems to be overlooking is that the underlying "junk" is still there...GIGO still works no matter how you dress it up.

We're a professional house, and while we use InDesign, we don't use it for any titles that are not going to have a print edition. It's easier and faster, honestly, to export from a Word processing program and clean up the html in an actual html editor like NoteTab Pro (it's our in-house tool of choice) than any other method we've found. INDD outputs TONS of garbage, as well, and a lot of garbage that can't be used in ePUBs and/or MOBI, either.

If you're struggling with Word, you can use that macro that guy here has--what is it called, BookCreator?--to clean up a manuscript fairly well, save it as RTF and then output it to html, and save yourself a bunch of brain-damage. It's how I rolled for a while when I was still a small shop, with 2-3 people, including me. It's a perfectly decent process, and if you use the 'tag italics" and "tag bold" and "tag X (insert style or whatever here)," and then clean all the other formatting, it works remarkably well. I wouldn't use it to actually MAKE the book--but to clean up Word to export fairly squeaky HTML, it works surprisingly well by making clever use of Word's built-in features, styles, etc.

HTH,
Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote