View Single Post
Old 03-05-2011, 08:35 AM   #1
Gray_Mouser
Gray_Mouser began at the beginning.

Device: none
"Cheap" Ipad1 as an ereader?

Hello all,

I've been considering buying a reader for some time now, but have been disappointed by the limitations.

I need a device that supports technical pdf (including scanned ones), djvu and other ebook formats as well. They are the kind with charts and equations, so reflowing is out of the question. I do need a big screen.

Touch screen would be nice, but only if it allows me to get the definition of a word by touching it.

Handwritten annotations and highlighting would be a huge plus, but only if it is not a chore to do so.

Pocketbook 903 seemed promising for a while, but the lack of functionalities made me reconsider. Furthermore the price is somewhat higher than what I'd like to spend.

Now the Ipad 2 has been announced, the Ipad 1 dropped in price and I'm wondering if it could be the right choice after all. But I have a few concerns:

- What about connectivity? I want to be able to copy my pdf to the ipad easily... I know there is no usb port, but is it possible to transfer files through a local network? I have heard about dropbox, but I cannot let a third party see some of my files (for example if it is an important document from work). Is it possible? It seems Itune is the way Apple wants Ipad owners to handle their files; does it mean Apple can control what is transfered to the Ipad?

- I would have prefered an eInk screen, but I can't say I ever had any issue with LCD screens. Still, do you think it's possible to read ebooks for a few hours without eye strain? We're talking about a couple of hours during the week end, or an hour in the evening before sleeping.

- What about file organization? Can I copy my pdf files to a folder that can be accessed by different applications?

- Are there applications that allow access to a dictionnary from a pdf file by just touching a word? I've had conflicting information about Stanza for instance. What about Iannotate?

- Are there any important restriction I should be aware of? I've read some pdf couldn't be opened or transfered to the Ipad... Some of my pdf can be as big as 90 Mo...

- What is the expected autonomy for reading? (I'm considering buying the wifi version by the way) Is it possible to read while it's charging?

- Is it convenient to watch videos? How hard is it to convert them to the right format? Is it possible to plug headphones?

That's a lot of questions, I know. Thanks in advance to those of you that will answer!
Gray_Mouser is offline   Reply With Quote