View Single Post
Old 08-28-2017, 11:31 PM   #7
evil writer
evil writer began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I honestly don't know if using a single key for a shortcut is even supported. It will probably only work until another program restores the key's normal function. At which point you'd probably have to close all running programs and relaunch Sigil to achieve the effect you want. It's not a bug, but rather, it's something that's just not feasible. You'd probably need to look for some sort of low-level keyboard-mapping software to pull something like that off.

It's another reason why entering text via Sigil is just not the way to go. Most word-processing programs already have the ability to convert straight-quotes to curly ones "on the fly."
I'm surprised it works like that. I thought these key shortcuts would just apply inside sigil and wouldn't affect or be affected by what happens outside.

Also, as I say, it does work (to assign a single key - in this case the apostrophe key) but then it seems to fail after a few minutes, whereas the other assigned keys remain assigned. If it's not a bug, it certainly acts buggy.

I like to type into sigil because I write fiction which is simply blocks of text with indented new paragraphs. Using a word processor is completely uneccessary for such simple formatting that fiction requires, but of course curly quotes is the norm in fiction and I prefer the look.
evil writer is offline   Reply With Quote