View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 04:11 AM   #201
BoldlyDubious
what if...?
BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: paper & electrophoretic
The two-screen Plastic Logic "showcase" is very impressive, though it seems to me that a real-world product design based on it would need quite a bit of engineering to actually be durable enough. I don't expect to see something like that on the market quickly and/or cheaply. Sigh.

On the other hand, provided that the price of the 10,7" display is reasonable, producing a 200 $/€ 10,7" e-reader weighing 0,5kg and built on a semi-rigid back seems pretty straightforward. I think such a product would have a definite appeal: at the very least, to people who read a lot of large-format material (academics, businessmen, ....) and currently have to choose between fatiguing backlit LCDs or heavy paper.
I would certainly buy one!

BTW: if I'm not wrong, neither the spec sheet nor the videos show touchscreen capabilities (maybe they are not compatible with flexibility?). I'd say that for a 10,7" display this is not an issue: once white margins are removed, it can show a Letter/A4 page at nearly full size, so no need for zoom-and-pan (which, for what concerns e-readers, is the only thing at which touchscreens are actually better than physical buttons).
BoldlyDubious is offline   Reply With Quote