Thread: What bugs you
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2010, 12:43 AM   #25
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Factual inaccuracy in historical fiction bugs me.

A few days ago I was chatting to a friend, who teaches history, about the social position of women through the ages. We got on the the subject of witch hunts. I remarked that if we were living in the middle ages I'd be burned at the stake because I live alone with lots of cats and have a small burn which looks a little like a nipple. After joking around, she pointed out that I would have been hanged, not burnt, because burning was only used on the continent, not in England. Even the Salem witches in the U.S. were hanged.

After she'd gone, I started reading a book which opened with an execution: burning at the stake. The book was set in Elizabethan england at the time of religious persecution.

I read something else!
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote