View Single Post
Old 09-26-2009, 05:00 PM   #1
Dave W
Connoisseur
Dave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-600 & Nook ST w/glow light
Problems with ebook library and Vista?

Hi,

I just joined mobileread. I've had my 600 for 5 days and am running into technical problems which may be Windows Vista related. I'll open new threads for each separate question.

This one is about the fact that my 600 doesn't disconnect when I click on the eject button. When connected, the reader says, "Do not disconnect." To remove the USB cable, you are first supposed to click on the eject button. When I do that, the reader disappears from the source list in ebook, but the reader continues to display "Do not disconnect." I go ahead and disconnect, but the warning remains for quite some time. I have even rebooted my notebook and the message is not removed. It eventually clears itself, but that takes 5 minutes or more. Any thoughts?

Related to this, I suspect, is an error message I get when first connecting the reader to a USB port. According to the manual, both the computer and reader should be on before connecting the USB cable which is what I do. I get a message that tells me there are file problems on the device and am asked whether windows should scan and correct the problem or just continue. If I click to scan, window claims that it can't do that, which I believe should be the case. Regargless of what I do, ebook library opens automatically and behaves normally, recognizing the reader. Of course, as I already explained, eject does not work.

I'm sure that I have the latest version of ebook library and the reader firmware. Both the reader and library appear to be working okay. Although, I occasionally get a failure of the library when I first try to use it. It's one of those windows messages that say the application has encountered a serious error and must close. When I restart it, it recognizes the reader and behaves okay.

Does anyone have any suggestions before I contact Sony? I'm not a big fan of the Vista operating system and can't wait to upgrade to Windows 7. I'm hoping that will be a better OS. I'm really suspicious of ebook libray as it interfaces with Vista. Anyone have similar experiences?

Dave W.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote