Thread: Seriousness The Girl Effect
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2009, 11:08 AM   #9
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I love the idea, in part. There's just too much testosterone running around, generally. But let's not leave out boys. If we glorify girls, we're degrading boys and probably causing resentment. I remember when the "Take Your Daughter To Work Day" was popular here about 20 years ago. Then people rightfully complained that sons were being ignored so it became "Take Your Children To Work Day". I also recall, about the same time, that girls here were being given extra attention and encouragement in subjects like mathematics. That's great because they were falling behind but it probably meant that we were indirectly discouraging boys in the process. Can't we just encourage all children but show them that they can live life happy and productive without pumped up egos? Of course, we'd have to do that ourselves....and therein lies a problem.
i do see what you mean, but i think most of the cultures this video addresses are already glorifying the boys so much that any assistance given to girls can only go towards a more equilibriated situation overall. also, if you look at the statistics given after the video (lower left corner of the post card) it seems that there are compelling reasons to invest in girls with the aim of improving living conditions overall for their community / the world. girls have a big effect on communities, whether directly (becoming business leaders) or somewhat indirectly (marrying and having children too young).
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote