View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013, 10:01 AM   #20
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV64 View Post
I'm still a little confused with the Microsoft investment. I don't see why people think they would want to buy the Nook outright. They already have Surface tablets and produce their own product. Like people said, the investments, as far as I can tell, were merely for access to content.
That's because nobody (outside of Microsoft's executives), not you, nor I, truly knows the motivation for Microsoft's investment in B&N's Nook.

Investing to get access to content is speculation. It's a reasonable thought, but not more than any other theory. There are far more financially effective and efficient ways of getting access to content than investing in the company.

It could've been to get access to patents without telegraphing to competitors which patents they were interested in.

It could've been for tax purposes.

It could've been to send a signal to specific competitors.

It could've been to generate interest, buzz, and speculation. Given Microsoft's lengthy track record of poor ad campaigns, they received more attention from this investment than if they had spent money directly on a marketing campaign.

It could've been the result of losing a bet at a dinner party.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote