View Single Post
Old 12-16-2012, 02:09 PM   #106
Gameboy70
Connoisseur
Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, 3rd Gen iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
If I actually turn my cell phone off (as opposed to letting it go to sleep) it takes about 18 seconds to turn on and "boot up." Also, turning it off takes about 6 seconds.

I think people are gradually becoming accustomed to these delays.
But "people" aren't doing that. Even your first-person reference ("If I") is stated hypothetically.

For non-nerds, turning the screen off is turning the phone off, unless they're trying to block calls or save battery.

I see the opposite trend. For non-production tasks, people reach for their mobile device before their PC, even if both are in arm's reach, because for most of those tasks, mobile provides more instant gratification. It's easy to argue that a 18-45 second boot time shouldn't matter—and it is a blink in the scheme of things—but consumers will always gravitate to the faster user experience (which can be a PC in some cases, like editing a spreadsheet or writing a long email).
Gameboy70 is offline   Reply With Quote