View Single Post
Old 08-07-2010, 02:55 PM   #11
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
You aren't being argumentative, you bring up some good points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
... Amazon seems to me to be tying to force everyone to buy their products exclusively while the rest of the eBook industry is forming around at least a standard for the books. ...
Considering that there are three DRM solutions for ePUB, I would hardly consider this a standard. What is worse is every time a big player comes into this industry if the adopt ePUB it will come with their own DRM. And considering Adobe DRM a standard is not something I agree with either.

They are a proprietary solution and any criticism against Amazon for a single format is also applicable to Adobe DRM.

To say you have a choice of vendors/storefronts with ePUB reminds me of Henry Fords line. "You have choice of color, so long as it's black". Here its "You have a choice of vendors so long as they support "Adobe DRM".

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
There are also dozens of eBook stores selling Adapt encoded ePub with competition on prices and services, but there is no place to get AZW books except Amazon. It does seem a bit monopolistic.
You can buy MOBI(AZW) books from Bean, SmashBooks, Oriely, and a few others, but their names escape me.

You can also get free books form Mobieread, FeedBooks, Project Guentgerg, (see their website for more free sites (more...))

They are not the only source of MOBI books.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote