View Single Post
Old 05-19-2014, 01:53 PM   #7
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberman tM View Post
Outing my ignorance here, but why is it considered to be a problem to create a braile "display" ?

At the most basic level, isn't all you need basically a huge dot matrix printer that doesn't immediately retract the pins? (And, of course, not have sharp points.)
I'm afraid I'm as ignorant as you are. I was referring to this quote from the bbc-link:

Quote:
It uses software-controlled heat to expand paraffin waxes in its screen, turning the material from liquid to solid and in turn controlling which of its 6,000 Braille dots are raised.
and I've understood it that the software had to heat the paraffin for every page anew.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote