View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 04:34 AM   #1
derangedhermit
Addict
derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
About 100 books a year, maybe 20 years...

I'm 55, and apparently the US economy has no use for me now except as a consumer. So with more time than I've had in decades for reading, I think I can average 2 books a week as long as the eyes and mind hold out. That's 100 books a year. I'm going to plan on 20 years of useful reading life left. That makes 2,000 books.

There are more than 2,000 books worth reading, and that I would enjoy reading, so I have to focus a bit. I'm making a list. I want to have the list ready by next month (at least in a first working version) when I turn 56, and my 20 years of reading officially starts.

From what I've surveyed so far, there may be about 500 public domain books and 1500 copyrighted books on list version 1. I have pretty broad interests, but it wouldn't be unfair to put me in the male nerd category - science, science history, world history (but not in excruciating detail, and no "historical fiction"). Sci-fi and fantasy, detective and mystery. Action and adventure. Some philosophy, of the practical kind. My memory is poor - always has been in some ways - so the thousands of books I've already read, I can still enjoy again

I've the beginnings of a spreadsheet, with author and title, linked to the wikipedia page for each. So far I have about 800 books on the list, in an early state of review. I know I'll identify a number of books of significance or great interest to others that are not for me, so titles will drop off and/or be replaced. I might eventually need 3000+ possibilities to find the 2000 I fully read.

I'm going through the various lists I can find - 100 best this, 100 best that, "great books" lists, Nebula / Hugo award winners, etc.

General or practical advice on how to create and maintain a rewarding reading "bucket list" is hereby solicited.
derangedhermit is offline   Reply With Quote