View Single Post
Old 11-06-2019, 10:18 AM   #5
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
I think there are direct lessons in the streaming wars to what we've been discussing with regard to copyright. What is the value of Intellectual Property.

The flip side is to consider how much has been lost because the copyright owner didn't see the value of preserving a copy of many video works. Not just movies, but famous TV shows. (The back story behind the restoration and re-issue of John Wayne's The High and The Mighty is pretty interesting
https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...e15-story.html
)

No, all works are not the same. One of the issues that Netflix faces is their most popular shows are shows like The Office and Friends rather than their original content shows. Yes, there is tremendous value to the Disney vault, which of course was the driving force behind the US joining the Berne Treaty and extending copyright from 28+28 to the current value. No one denies that.

I've got a year subscription to the Disney+ because I have Verizon unlimited data, a year subscription to Apple TV+ because I just bought an iPad and a subscription to the CBS streaming service because I have a subscription to another CBS service. Add in Prime Video and that's a lot of content.

Content is king in the streaming video battles. Netflix and Apple is going to have a very tough time building up enough of a catalogue to challenge Disney. They really have to hope that they will create the next must watch series, a la Game of Thrones. That's going to be a tough roe to hoe. Amazon has a couple of series coming up that I definitely want to see, especially the LOTR prequel series, but as we have seen, a series can be a flop if without the right creative talent.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote