View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012, 11:57 AM   #12
jmmcg9
Zealot
jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, iPad Pro (12.9”), iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPad Mini 5, Forma
I upgraded from the Silver Kindle 4 to the PW. The improved resolution is not obvious to me. I was expecting the same type of improvement like the iPhone had when they went to the retina display. I would not upgrade for the resolution. I would upgrade for the built in light. I have tried at least 4 or 5 types of add on lights over the years. None come close to the built in light on the PW. That said, it is not perfect. I see the highlight of the LEDs at the bottom. I have a replacement. It looks more uneven than my original, but it is still an improvement over any add on light (my PW was replaced due to registration issues, not screen issues). Overall, the PW is an improvement over the KS 4, but it is an incremental improvement, not the major jump I was expecting. For example, the "Paper White" name s a misnomer. It looks just like the KS4 with the gray background unless you crank up the light. The reason I love the e-ink technology, is no eye fatigue, like my iPad. Even though the light is not like an LED or CRT source, I suspect trying to read in total darkness with the light cranked up may cause similar fatigue. I had a vision of always using the built in PW light, especially at night to avoid disturbing my wife. But so far, I still prefer using a lamp when possible. I do see myself using the built in light when a lamp is not available. I rate that as a plus over the K4S. Finally, the touch screen works really well, but I occasionally jump two pages instead of one. Also, with the K4S I could change pages with both hands. With the PW, I can only do that with my right hand since the page turn section is only on the right. I do like the ability to use the dictionary by just touching the word. That was a real hassle on the K4S.
Overall, I think the PW is still the best option available in e-readers today, but in hindsight I probably should have waited for the next generation. But then again, the PW is very reasonably priced. I will probably sell my K4S, so I probably made the right call. Bottom line: a good product, but just an incremental improvement.
Cheers, Joe Mac

Last edited by jmmcg9; 10-13-2012 at 11:59 AM.
jmmcg9 is offline   Reply With Quote