View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012, 07:52 PM   #2322
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
It was never clear to me what traffic regulations were regarding that; that is motorcyclists driving between lanes.
Californian highway law permits lane splitting. Japanese law doesn't 'permit' it, but doesn't specifically state against it. But most roads here have small scooter lanes along the curb, which significantly help during the massive traffic jams we get. On weekends it might take a car driver 3 hours to cover the same distance I can cover in 45 minutes on a motorcycle. And that's normal. Holidays are much worse for cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I'll bet most of them were kids with a new muscle-bike. Older riders drive with more sense.
We teach that when lane splitting, never exceed 10kph faster than the traffic is moving, and to always keep aware of the front tires of the cars ahead of you. They move before the car moves. But even with that, it's still dangerous. As a rider with more than 750,000 miles on a bike in 17 different countries on three continents, I will say categorically that riding a bike 'can' be safe. It just isn't 'always' safe.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote