View Single Post
Old 01-29-2011, 10:29 PM   #1
ArmadilloPilot
Enthusiast
ArmadilloPilot began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Verse Pro
Mine is in the mail, but what about books?

After reading reviews for weeks, I decided to buy the PRS 650. I honestly do think it is a good machine - after all, I did pay a premium price over the Kindle. But now I have been doing internet shopping for books in advance of my reader arriving. I am disturbed that it seems I will now have to continue to pay premium pricing for the book content.

I checked for books (current) by authors that I like to read and find that the Sony store will charge $3 to $10 more than the same book on Amazon. And some books I can't even find for the Sony. Why does it have to be like that? I have this sinking feeling in my gut that I might have made a poor investment.

I checked out the vast array of freebooks available, but since they are mainly titles in public domain and written before the Great Depression, there are only a few titles I wanted to download. I will keep looking though. Meanwhile, I have to resolve my frustration of how to get current content at a reasonable price.

I have been accustomed to getting my reads from the library or even thrift shops and garage sales. I checked, my local library does not do eBooks -- too bad. So now I'm faced with "feeding" my reader at $12 to $16 a copy with content that I used to get much cheaper -- and for more than the "inferior" Kindle owners have to pay. How long is this situation going to exist?

Here's a question --- can I "borrow" an ebook from someone else? But how do I even find those people who might have a book I might want. Perplexing, yes?

Well, enough griping. I do wonder how you other owners have reconciled this issue of book publishers not giving Sony the same deal as Amazon? And...any suggestions?
ArmadilloPilot is offline   Reply With Quote