View Single Post
Old 08-30-2010, 06:54 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shemsha View Post
Hi,

I am thinking about getting a Kindle and I am a bit unsure about the Ebook prices.

I see that book price is different according to the region (USA/Europe etc.).
Do you know how is my region selected? Is it according to my billing address? Is it according to the IP I use?

I live in Israel and my credit card billing address is in Israel.
Will my region be "Middle East"?

If I visit the USA and purchase the kindle there and then purchase books using an american IP, will I still be recognized as Middle East?
If you turn the Kindle Wireless on (with 3G or wifi), Amazon can tell where the Kindle is from the way it connects, unless you also especially set up the wifi to use a US proxy (external to the Kindle). I don't think it is possible to spoof a 3G connection.

So it is possible to buy from the US store by jumping through lots of hoops, but the main reason to do so is geographic restrictions on titles. The prices of books on Amazon are fairly consistent between countries, only varying by local taxes (if any), and sometimes because of differences in the cost of equivalent p-books in each country.

Personally, I have such a large backlog I've given up worrying about trying to jump through the hoops. It is possible if you really want to though.

Last edited by pdurrant; 08-30-2010 at 07:00 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote