View Single Post
Old 03-15-2019, 10:05 AM   #8
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I rather enjoyed Dan Simmon's attempt on the matter - Drood. Any novel that has an opium-addled Wilkie Collins as a terribly unreliable narrator is always going to be a ride.
I really enjoyed Dan Simmon’s Drood. This was a re-read for me and the path to get here was a wandering journey. Those are the best! I’m the type of person who doesn’t have good retention on books and movies. I didn’t remember much about my previous read other than I thought his uncle did it. So this time around I was looking for clues for other solutions and rather like the idea that he disappeared/survived.

For this read I decided to do an audiobook. I chose a version narrated by David Thorn, which I very much enjoyed. Listening to Dickens by audio really brought the story to life! The narrator was very expressive with the different voices and dialogue. I am going to have try more Dickens by audio and recommend it to others.

I first learned of The Mystery of Edwin Drood when I saw it as a musical about 30 years ago. It was pretty fun - the audience voted to determine what ending the actors would do. In the 2008-2010 time period, I was reading many classics, especially mysteries. I read The Woman in White and Moonstone and decided that I loved Wilkie Collins’s books! Then I read The Mystery of Edwin Drood in April 2010. When I saw that Collins and Dickens were in a fictional book together that had just been published called Drood than I just had to read it! Immediately after reading that book, I read The Signalman by Dickens.

I would like to read The Last Dickens by Matthew Pearl next.

Last edited by Bookworm_Girl; 03-15-2019 at 10:07 AM.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote