Thread: MobileRead Discussion/Suggestion Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 06:25 PM   #141
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I second Prize Winners. Or third it. Whatever. I don't even think we need to put limits on the kinds of prizes, since the books have to run through the nom-and-second process, and then be voted on; if a book that won the COVR Award (New Age industry books) or an ENnie (tabletop RPG award; could go to a rulebook) got through all that, it would mean that several people at MR think it's an interesting book and worth reading.

And if we're not going to bother defining "classic," why try to restrict "award winners" to only certain kinds of awards? I don't think we'll be flooded with nominations from "Best Cookbook according to the Food Network" or some random fraternity's "best book to read on the bus to pick up chicks."

However, I can certainly deal with "only certain kinds of awards;" we'd just need to define those. I'd prefer they were defined by category rather than a list--awards from an organization over a certain size, or that have been around a certain number of years, or something like that, rather than trying to keep up with a specific list.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote