View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 01:45 PM   #278
jupstin
Groupie
jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
FWIW, here's my take...I got my PW yesterday, and I read for about 30 minutes in regular room light and later for about an hour in total darkness. However, my first impression was based on what it looked like when I opened the box and pressed the power button. I was not encouraged. I could see both the splotchyness of the screen as a whole and the obvious shadows on the bottom. As soon as it let me, I turned the brightness down and was able to find a level (just under 1/2) that eliminated these problems. In the dark, after one night, I haven't been so lucky. I definitely noticed the splotchyness at all levels, and it does bother me. Like some others here, I'm a bit OCD, so I realize that it might not bother others...however, it bothers me. I was using a K3 with a Mighty Bright light. Of course it wasn't perfect either, but I'm not sure I prefer the PW experience.

Ultimately I agree with those who feel they were overpromised. Yes, we all know that advertising should be taken with a very large grain of salt, but I've owned multiple Kindles across all but the last generation and I've never felt that the product I received failed to live up to the claims made by Amazon. This device does. It's going to take a few days to sort out the disappointment that is due to unreasonable expectations from flaws that actually hurt the reading experience. I'm hoping that I'll ultimately prefer the device to my K3, but as of now, I'm not sure.
jupstin is offline   Reply With Quote