View Single Post
Old 12-09-2011, 07:53 AM   #1
sbell
Meh
sbell began at the beginning.

Device: nook color, ipad, kindle
Fill-in forms on iPad

So I have gotten myself into a situation. I created a demo back in October for a publisher who puts out test preparation guides and every now and then one of their books has a fill in area. I wanted to know if I could use <input> and <textarea> in a <form>. And it worked!

Cut to two weeks later when Apple releases an update for iOS and guess what? That element is no longer supported. I don't know if that was Apple finally agreeing to follow the IDPF spec (which doesn't support <input>) or just a current bug with their latest update.

Here's the thing, though: <input> with the type of checkbox works. What seems to not be working is the call to the keyboard for the text <input>.

The publisher loved this demo! Now they are expecting this. Does anyone know a way to force the <input> to make the call to the keyboard?

If that fails, I'm going to have to resort to writing some weird canvas/javascript textbox element that may or may not work. And honestly, I'm not entirely sure how to go about doing that, because the only thing I've found close to that relies on the text <input>. So if anyone has any pointers on that, that would make you a demi-god in my personal pantheon of gods (so right below Carl Sagan and to the right of Julia Child).

And to emphasize, this is iOS only. Thanks.
sbell is offline   Reply With Quote