View Single Post
Old 09-30-2010, 12:51 PM   #37
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I mostly read classic literature - Verne, Poe, Wells, Twain, Dickens, etc. That stuff is completely free and readily available.

Solar and other portable battery chargers cost money and become another gadget to carry around.
It seems to me if you are going to be hiking into the woods (since you said no car), you are going to want something as light as possible. Unless the rumored (not even vaporware) Nook ditches the LCD and the replaceable battery, its still going to be a fair bit heavier than the Kindle or indeed any other reader on the market.

Since you are away from it all, you aren't going to need wifi. Your insistence on 4 GB internal storage is probably unrealistic -- yes Kindle has it, but most other readers don't; they let you add an external SD card (yes I know it costs money... but for goodness sake, if you can't afford a 2-4GB SD card, you probably shouldn't be looking at an eBook Reader in the first place).

Essentially, you want a company that will custom build a reader to your specifications at your desired price. I don't think that is going to happen.

One last thought. If you read all classic literature, there is no particular need to worry about formats since that stuff is all available in any format you want from Feedbooks, Manybooks.net and PG. Shoot, you could even get a device that only supports moldy old formats that aren't used by any modern devices.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote