View Single Post
Old 10-22-2008, 03:20 PM   #47
Demented
Connoisseur
Demented began at the beginning.

Device: DR800SG, Nook, Cybook Original
I'm an avid reader. I currently have around 800 paperback/hardback sci-fi/fantasy books in my collection and an additional 100 e-books(all purchased since December of this year goooo cybook). I will stipulate that there are looong books that have no reason to exist but there are also short books that suck too. It's about the author and the writing. Hands down a long book from my favorite author appeals to me much more so than a short one. If the author's story doesn't require 500+ pages (ideally 5k+ pages in a 3-7 part series) then it's honestly not that imaginative and their world building needs work. I have a top 100 shelf and there are only 2 stand alone books on it and none under 450 pages. The only author I have found worthy of my shelf for stand alones is Alastair Reynolds. My top six on the other hand: Robert Jordan, Michelle West, George R.R. Martin, Kate Elliot, Steven Errikson and Dan Simmons all had something to say and went about it in a grandiose fashion. Plus there's the whole economy of scale here, I can read a 350 page book in a single sitting(~2 hours). I need more meat than that to make it more efficient than a movie.
Demented is offline   Reply With Quote