View Single Post
Old 11-24-2013, 03:50 PM   #12
Psymon
Chief Bohemian Misfit
Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, ADE
First, to RbnJrg, I haven't taken the code you wrote and plopped it into my ebook to try it out, but I definitely take your word for it that it works, and can't thank you enough for that! This truly will be awesome if it all does work out, and the only thing that really mystifies me is that this never seemed to come up before, that nobody else ever wanted to do this before -- at least, after all that searching yesterday, I couldn't find an answer to this (which you now seem to have provided for me).

Thanks so much again! But before I respond a little more to your message, the only thing that concerns me about this is what Jellby wrote (and which Toxaris reiterated, too)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
background-image (or -position, -repeat, -size) is not in the required set of CSS properties for ePub 2.
It's really great if indeed it works, but my worry is... is this going to "blow up" on me down the road for some as-yet-unforeseen reason?

Back to your reply, RbnJrg...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
I don't know how it looks in iPad since I don't have one
I just tried it out, and it comes out perfectly! Of course, for different lengthed titles I'm going to have to make some adjustments here and there (re font sizes or whatever), but I guess I'll figure that out -- pending any replies from others giving a drastic reason that I shouldn't do it this way (which I'm keeping my fingers crossed won't happen!).

Code:
One more thing: I changed the resolution of your "bamboo_fence" image to 800 x 533 px; take in count that.
How come? I had it at 1200x1800, if only so that it'll look better on retina displays -- also, I'm not sure why anyone might want to do this for a chapter-title page, and since the image isn't really all that "exciting" or anything, but I did notice that one can double-tap on it still (like any other image on the iPad) and zoom in on it. Interestingly (for me), not just the image zooms in, but the text on top of it as well, almost as though it wasn't "text" but rather that text was part of the graphic itself.

Code:
Of course, you can put the text in any place of the svg container; what I did is just an example.
I don't know the first thing about SVG, I must confess -- up to this point, I've used it but simply in the context of copying the code of others, but it makes no sense to me half the time. I guess that's yet another thing for me to put on my "to do" (or "to learn") list. :/

Code:
PS: I still think is better to use a background image.
Except I couldn't get that to work -- but I'm dumb (with regard to some things, anyway). And that caution from Jellby/Toxaris does concern me, too.

Code:
PS2: WITH THIS WAY OF DOING THE THINGS, YOU MUST ALWAYS WORK WITH PIXELS, OTHERWISE YOU'LL HAVE TROUBLES IN ADE.
Oh, okay, I'll keep that in mind. If one does it in pixels, though, doesn't that potentially cause problems with retina displays (with their higher resolution) that things well then all be "off"?

Thanks so much again, RbnJrg! I can't wait to try this out in my book for all the chapters (20+ of them), although unfortunately I have company coming over now, and over the next two days I'm helping my mom move -- so it might have to wait until later this week. Hopefully I'll be able to sneak in some "me" time, though, and I do look forward to any more comments on this subject (from you or others).

Cheers!
Psymon is offline   Reply With Quote