View Single Post
Old 07-07-2013, 10:02 AM   #483
trex_daemon
Enthusiast
trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.

Device: kindle 3 Wifi
Sorry for not proving sufficient details.
It's a k3 wifi device.
I've made a level shifter as described here :
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=1897643
and I am using it with a nokia DKU-5 usb-serial converter (it's the PL2303).
Sorry for misusing the sdcard. I've ment the internal flash, of course.
I don't have a scope here to check why isn't the transmit part working, but I might bring it to work to check it.
Meanwhile, I've installed the custom kernel from here :

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=175602
and did manage to connect with a serial over usb console.
The problem is that this happens right at the begiining, before any blocks being mounted.
Once i issue the start of the kindle os, as described also there, I can't do much of a thing.
This would be useful after the kindle has booted to have at least the partitions mounted.

You say that if i fill with 0s those memory areas, the kindle will build it's partitions ?
I could try that. I will try to create an img filled with 0s and then flash it with k3flasher from the right address.. that might do the trick, i hope..

I don't want to give up on fixing it
I've already changed a display for it and bought all the parts for the serial cable, so a new one might have been cheaper
So any ideas are highly appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
It is going to be difficult without having a two-way serial port.
Hard to make changes to the Kindle when you can't send it any commands.

You write of an "SD Card" - what model of Kindle is this? A K1?

Or have you modified the Kindle to add the development board's SD card socket to it?

ah, but your question - -
At this point, you need to force the Kindle's boot-up sequence to re-build the user data partition.

On an un-modified Kindle, other than a K1 model - -
That can be done by writing 16, 512 byte blocks, of zeros to /dev/mmcblk0p4 and then doing a re-boot.
The kernel's initramfs will detect the missing partition and re-build it.

But since I don't know what your device is, and what hardware mods you have done. . . .
I can't say if that would work in your case.
trex_daemon is offline   Reply With Quote