Thread: MobileRead December 2012 Run-Off Vote
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 07:23 PM   #105
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
I liked Ethan Frome, too. Read it a couple of weeks before it was nominated, so then I read Cold Comfort Farm and this week The Good Earth. I may even re-read Crime and Punishment before the next round of nominations. Really enjoy the book club and the books I might never have read without it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Tell me what you think of this one when you're done.
I read Ethan Frome recently, and as I have stated here before I liked it. I also read Good Earth very recently and really enjoyed it. Of course that book was the principal inspiration for Pearl S Buck being awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature.

I am about half way through Cold Comfort Farm at the moment. It is hilarious. Very small bit of it:

Spoiler:
Quote:
Mrs Smiling’s second interest was her collection of brassières, and her search for a perfect one. She was reputed to have the largest and finest collection of these garments in the world. It was hoped that on her death it would be left to the nation.

She was an authority on the cut, fit, colour, construction and proper functioning of brassières; and her friends had learned that her interest, even in moments of extreme emotional or physical distress, could be aroused and her composure restored by the hasty utterance of the phrase:

‘I saw a brassière today, Mary, that would have interested you …’