View Single Post
Old 07-03-2012, 01:16 PM   #28
piper28
Zealot
piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
This thing about backlights has always puzzled me. I have to look at the matter as a physicist. You "see" when photons enter your eye and stimulate the optic nerve. Your eye doesn't care whether those photons are emitted by a screen, or merely reflected from it, and if you have your screen brightness set to the same level as the ambient light level in the room, the total number of photons entering your eye will be the same. Rationally speaking, there should be absolutely no difference between reading from an eInk screen or reading from a backlit screen whose brightness is correctly set.
And yet there's been at least one published paper that's been shown that backlit displays can affect sleep patterns. (There may be more, I just haven't followed it closely enough). One of these days I really need to sit down with the person in my department doing sleep research and see if she has any thoughts on this.
piper28 is offline   Reply With Quote