View Single Post
Old 09-14-2015, 09:20 PM   #1
dpbmobi
dpbmobi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Question Kobo Glo First Time Use

Hi Kobo Glo Users:

This query is about the Kobo Glo, not the Kobo Glo HD. After having had a really terrible experience with the Kindle Paperwhite silent update, I bought a Kobo Glo as a backup. It is still in the box and I have not activated or registered it yet. I want to make absolutely sure I don't get stuck with bloatware on this device and that I download any jailbreaks or fixes before there is a problem.

[1] They recommend charging the device for about 4 hours before first time use. Can I use my Kindle Paperwhite wall charger and just plug it in directly to do this without first registering the device?

[2] The registration process involves logging onto their website and downloading software. I already have the Kobo software for reading on my PC, so is this software different and do I need it?

[3] Do I have to register my device or is there a way of setting up my Kobo without doing this? Would it be better not to register my device? Are they going to download all sort of unnecessary ads and software during this process? Is there a way of reversing the download once it's done?

Let me apologize now if these questions have been covered in another thread which I've not been able to locate. Also, if anyone has any suggestions about third-party software for the Kobo Glo, especially if it would give me more control over the device, please let me know.

Many thanks for any help the forum can offer on this.

David
dpbmobi is offline   Reply With Quote