View Single Post
Old 03-23-2018, 08:06 PM   #92
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
It is probably unwise to generalise as I have, June, as there are a myriad different forms of hunting, and every hunter is an individual. The hunting and fishing that I've done is pretty small stuff compared to what we've been reading about.

But I do see it as, at least partly, a "great hunter" type story. It is almost an ode to a hunter. I see in Hemingway's writing a great admiration for this struggle of man versus beast. (issybird noted some symmetry between this book and The Sun Also Rises, and that symmetry includes this struggle.) To some extent I share that admiration: the strength and determination required by such fishermen is something admirable - I think.

But that is not the same as admiring the waste that comes from poor decisions; given the situation the poor decisions were understandable, they did not seem unrealistic, but that doesn't make them good decisions. And because I don't see this in the same way that Hemingway did, the entire short story ends up feeling wrong to me. (And the fact that I don't like his writing style, his voice, doesn't help.)
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote