View Single Post
Old 09-14-2009, 02:42 PM   #5
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
It drives me crazy that I can't quickly skim across pages. In addition to 5+pps flipping for proximal navigation, there's twice that rate for global navigation, and about half of that for casual local skimming. None of that is really possible with readers, excepting the sad joke they do in some situations if you hold the page-next key or whatever. If all you do is very slowly and linearly drag yourself through a text and only flip pages when you are ready to repeat a slow, methodical drag through the next page, then it's not a problem. I have to force myself to read novels that way on my reader, and it drives me nuts if I've just come back to the reader from reading a paperback. I much prefer viewing pdfs on my desktop screen and scrolling through 2-page leaves with the scroll wheel of my mouse.

The flash is actually probably a positive thing considering it is a form of visual feedback, even if delayed. Eliminating that while keeping the same geologically-slow refresh rate would doubtless be even more maddening.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote