View Single Post
Old 09-01-2013, 03:29 AM   #43
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
(but as many pointed out its poorly worded to start with; I would rewrite the original sentence to clear up the issue).
I disagree. I think it's worded just fine. One in six carries a personal connection that percentages and fractions do not. We all know six boys....same as the way "look at the person to your left, look to your right...one of you won't be here next week" has more impact than "33% of this class will fail out." And among the offered rewrite suggestions, one is way more awkward and another outright changed the meaning. If forced to rewrite, I might go with "One Australian boy out of six is..." but think it's fine as it is.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote