View Single Post
Old 12-09-2008, 08:50 PM   #23
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Yes, I know. And she is a favorite author. But if you look at the surface plot in her books they fit very well with the typical Baen book.

Baen was created specaializing in military sf and space opera. A typical Baen book is usually very easy to read and a good adventure story.

I like to read space opera and some military sf and I like a good story. The reason I commented was that I think people on this forum is describing the books so they seem much better or much more important then they are. If people want to know about the sf field today you cannot just look at Baen.
Oh I agree that you can't just look at Baen... nor at Tor nor any of the other major publishing houses in isolation. I will say this; you can't look at Baen to get a picture of the state of SF today, but you can't get a picture of SF today without looking at Baen.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote