View Single Post
Old 01-27-2010, 11:21 PM   #11
chainring
Addict
chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650 (black), Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm200 View Post
I think you missed the part about the onboard battery. Solar charges the onboard battery over 10 hours, and then you dump it into your device when ready.

Also - if you get more than 100 ma out of a USB connection to your PC I would be surprised. That is a low current interface.

Second note - I really doubt if any of these readers will accept a 2000 ma charge current. I think 10 watts into the device would cook it.

None if this says whether or not this particular device is any good.

Robert
Some ports will go as high as 500mA, but even then on Windows machines, it takes a driver to enable that higher current.

Good point about the charger ouputting 2000mA. The battery in the Sony Readers is likely less than 2000mAh. If it's equal, the charger, if putting out the full 2000mA, would be charging at a 1C rate...I don't think so! A fully depleted reader takes around 4hrs to charge, correct? If that's the case, and the reader has a 2000mAh LiIon cell, the 4 hour charge time would represent around a .25C charge rate, or 500mA.

The readers are known to have one LiIon cell, but does anyone know a definitve answer for how many mAh the cell is rated?

For $9, plus shipping, I went for it. Heck, for that kind of price, it's worth it to have for emergency backup. With solar recharging of the main pack, this thing is a no brainer on value.
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote