View Single Post
Old 11-08-2018, 04:19 PM   #305
gteague
Zealot
gteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toys

Device: kindle v1.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Yeah, ebooks are pretty small. Majority of my Kindle books range from ~600KB to 2MB. Given the 512MB RAM, I think the PW4 might actually choke on the 20,000+ regular books it would take to fill up 32GB (probably just ~28GB usable).

Graphic novels definitely change the equation, though. My manga volumes average 100MB per and they're like 15-30 minute reads compared to a 600KB novel.
do you know how much ram the oasis 2 has? i've never seen those specs listed or in the reviews but it would for sure make the difference in how fast new books are indexed. as i said, the oasis 2 took about one hour per 100 books. unless my new pw4 can match that i think i'll keep the oasis 2 as my complete archive and use the pw4 to only hold my short list of books to read and some reference works.

i read that the kindle indexes every word in every book and my worry was that there would be so many total words, it would overflow buffers or if there was a fixed amount of storage allocated for the word list.

/guy
gteague is offline   Reply With Quote