View Single Post
Old 11-08-2018, 02:09 PM   #302
gteague
Zealot
gteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toys

Device: kindle v1.0
i just installed the calibre update which has the new pw support.

i quite like it so far. the verdict is still out when comparing it with the oasis 2 which is fine, but i have ergonomic issues with it being too wide and the cover too easily dislodged, thus i really like the more narrow pw, but then again i like having the option of physical /page/buttons but you can't have cake and eat it i guess.

the pw is just noticeably slower on page turns than the oasis and there's a 'flash' every time whereas on the oasis i only get a flash every 3-4 turns. but the pw screen is very sharp and even with my bad eyes i can dial down the font size enough to get a good-sized chunk of text on the screen.

as i said earlier, i got the 32gb version of the pw in anticipation of putting my full 2400 ebook library on it along with my purchased kindle books and my 400 docs. but now i wish i'd saved $30 and got the 8gb version and put my whole library on my 32gb oasis 2 and used the pw for casual reading while keeping it loaded with less than a dozen books in my read next queue. and if amazon hadn't sold out of nearly all covers by the time i ordered i could have saved more money by not getting a bundle considering the power adapter is $20 and virtually worthless.

to put this plan into effect and despite the good advice i got (!), i installed all 2400 calibre books onto the oasis 2 about this time yesterday. it hung at about 1750 books yet to index and i deleted 5 books and it started up again. i left it on power all night and this morning it had hung at about 500 left to go and again i deleted 5 books and it picked up again. as i type this there are only 8 books left to go, so a rough estimate on time to index was 24 hours for 2400 items (not counting how long the two 'hangs' cost me) or one hour per 100 books.

/guy
gteague is offline   Reply With Quote